Tooth implant is a treatment which means placing a titanium artificial teeth root to bones of the jaws for bringing back of the functionality and correcting the esthetics of the missing teeth. Among all other known techniques, implant applications are the most advanced treatment of the missing tooth. Due to new and technologic materials, implant applications can be performed much easier, faster and without causing any pain nowadays.
Implants not only has been using in dentistry for long years, but also has become very popular in the last 10 years because of the improvements made for materials used in implant treatment. Implants are being used as alternatives to classical prosthesis method, creating different treatment options for the stable and moving prostheses. In stable prosthesis, especially when it comes to treat the loss of the single teeth, being able to overcome the deficiency without requesting adjacent teeth preparation and use stable prosthesis instead of moving kinds in a situation which includes multiple teeth loss are the most important advantages. Therewithal, prosthesis movement which is the biggest disadvantage of the total prosthesis treatment which is known as palate prosthesis in public will be prevented.
Latest innovation of the implant dentistry is the flapless implant application technique. This method is being applied without cutting the gum. Therefore, tissues are not required to be stitched up after the implant application. Owing to this latest innovation, time period of the implant application has decreased to between 5-10 minutes.
In Which Case Implant Treatment Offers Which Advantages?
- If the patient carries prostheses on the mandible after having complete tooth loss: These patients are being suffered by continuous pain caused by the movement of the prosthesis and problems caused by the malfunctions of the chewing process. This problem might be expanded with the osteolysis of the supportive bone tissue of the prosthesis in the time.In that kind of situations, implant treatment not only stops the osteolysis, but also heals and removes all the complains which are listed above.
- If the patient carries prostheses on the maxilla after having complete tooth loss: Even tough maxilla oriented prostheses are more stable than mandible oriented kinds, palate covering part of the prosthesis might reduce the tasting and might cause nausea.
- If the patient lost a part of their tooth in maxilla or mandible: These kinds of patients are uncomfortable with the unsightly appearance of the prosthesis due to claps holding it. Additionally they might be in a danger of getting their healthy teeth removed or cut in order to apply a specified treatment.
- If the patient is suffering from single tooth loss: These patients requested to sacrifice at least two adjacent teeth in the restoration process of the missing one. Placing only one implant instead of traditional process, not only saves the adjacent teeth but also allows to obtain more functional results to be achieved as a more smooth and successful treatment.
What are the advantages of the results of İmplant treatment?
- Powerful chewing ability, consequently being able to eat whatever you want in all aspects.
- Better aesthetic appearance.
- Happier social life due to improved self-confidence.
- Getting healthier and more balanced eating habits due to no more limitations by the chewing disorders.
What is the structure of the implant?
Abutment screws of the implant structure are made of titanium. As well known, titanium is commonly used materials in medical area based upon its properties such as being biocompatible, quite strong and enduring. Additionally, titanium is not likely to cause allergic reactions or conduct unfavorable reactions in the body. Abutment screws has particular diameters and consequently they have determined volume, therefore target jaw bones (maxilla and mandible) needs to meet the height and width requirement of those screws. Additionally, health status and strength of the bone also affect the success of the implant application. Before the implant treatment, oral tests and analyses must be completed, if there are any problems related the tooth or the gum, they need to be treated first because the infected areas cannot be the target of the implant treatment. People from all ages can have implant treatment, but there are some limitations for little children, and pregnant woman due to still ongoing osteogenesis process. Also implant treatment can’t be applied on people with various diseases or/and lack of a personal hygiene.
What is the total period of the Implant Treatment?
Even though it depends on the bone and jaw structure of the patient, implant can be placed inside the bone very quickly. After 3 month of adaptation period between mouth and implant, prosthesis teeth production phase starts. Latest innovations in the Implant Dentistry allow prosthesis to be added right after the implant placement in some situations and patients can leave the clinic in the same day with a new tooth.
Does implant treatment is appropriate for everyone?
Before starting implant treatment, Bone Amount and Bone Mineral Density have to be completed. For any patient with adequate results might be appropriate for implant treatment. If the patient also suffering from diabetes, implant treatment can be applied if the situation is under control. But still requires an allowance from a specialist.
Are there any chances for implants to be rejected by human body?
Technology has revealed that the titanium which is the material of the implants is friendly with the human tissues and biocompatible with human body. Therefore, there was no incompatibility or rejection by the body was observed. However, if the patient didn’t care about oral hygiene, osteolysis might be observed on the bones around the abutment screws. Additionally excessive consumption of the alcohol, tobacco and fizzy drinks are the main reasons for decreasing the life span of the implants.
Post-operation mouth care and hygiene
To increase the success of the implant treatment and to prolong the durability of the implants, patients need to follow orders of the dentists, attend for the regular follow ups, lower the consumption of the tobacco and alcohol. Like every other treatment, implant application has some rules to follow before and after operation. And the most important rule is to protect mouth and teeth hygiene. Right after the operation, mouth care for the first 48 hours are crucially important. In this time period patients’ needs to avoid any possible pressure effect on the implants. They should not rinse their mouths, and while splitting they should avoid sucking and do it more smoothly. Pressure inside of the mouth should be kept stable. While brushing the teeth, toothbrush has to be moved slowly, and flossing should not cause a fast and direct pressure to the tooth. After the operation low amount of pain and a swelling is completely normal. Abutment screw application phase might cause traumas in the application area and application of ice might decrease the symptoms such as those swellings and traumas. Application of the ice should be periodically and massaging to avoid any possible frost burn. If you notice any abscess, gathering around the area or unexpected results, you should consult to the dentist for the required treatment.